Friday, March 16, 2012

Under the sink.

As I was typing the title I started singing the Little Mermaid song Under the Sea. 

This was a quick little project that I did a couple weeks ago and it is FAN-TASTIC!

The total cost was about $8.00 and it took me maybe 45 minutes to finish.

Here's what you will need:

Vinyl Tiles - I got mine at Home Depot for about $1.08 each
Straight Edge
Measuring Tape

1. Start with the center tile and measure where it will need to go. If you have to make a cut, like I did, measure for that and cut it. 

2. Before you stick any of them down or take off the paper backing notice which way the arrows are pointing. It is important that all the tiles are installed the same way.

3. Take the paper backing off and stick it down.

4. Repeat for the remaining area.

BAM! You're done! How easy was that?! Now you have an easy to clean, and much nicer to look at under the sink area. Plus the edges won't peel and get all icky. 

Thursday, March 15, 2012


I have a thing for bees. 
 Not for realies bees, don't like those, but pretty much everything else. I mean Misso and I named our short lived craft fair the Beehive Craftival. 

Misso found this gem on West Elm a couple weeks ago and about 30 seconds after she sent me the link, it was mine. It now is sitting on my counter waiting for a beehive cake. 
*found here*

Don't really care that I'm 26 I'm totally going to order this. 

I already have a cookie jar that will match these!

This is a custom stand that I think I'm going to start selling in my shop. 

You know what isn't fun? 
Eating yogurt with a fork because somehow you forgot to bring a spoon with you to work. 

Tuesday, March 13, 2012


I love wreaths!

The front of our house is pretty dull and a wreath is the perfect way to add color.

Here are a couple from Williams-Sanoma that I'm in love with, but refuse to pay $100 for. 

With that being said I am determined to make my own. I think it will be easy to track down inexpensive dried greens but the roses are another story. Maybe I can find some decent looking fake ones. 

Friday, March 2, 2012

Weekend Projects.

Now let me be clear when I say weekend projects I mean thinking about getting it done every weekend for 6 months projects. 

 I get these big ideas for projects, go out and buy everything and then move on to my next great idea. As I've mentioned before this is something that needs stop so it's time to get this done.

My goals for this weekend are 1) sand/prime dining table and chairs, 2) sand hutch and finish revamping doors and drawers.

 I bought said hutch last August and it has been sitting in my basement ever since.

And here is Madam Hutch's friend Dining table. We have a breakfast bar in our kitchen so who needs table? Clearly not us.

Here was the first step in getting the hutch ready for painting. I really didn't like the current details of the doors or drawers so I decided to revamp the. Here is a quick tutorial on how I did that.

This is what they looked like before. ick.

I much as I love this 1960's -ish flower, it had to go

1. Measure the space you want to cover and cut out those pieces. I used a table saw but a handsaw of some kind with a straight edge will do just fine too.

2. Before you glue them in place make sure that they fit how you want.

3. Glue them done and nail them into place. I used my brad nailer for this but a hammer and nail will work just as well.

4. If you are doing the drawers repeat the same steps. To get the shapes for this section I used the table saw to get the basic rectangle and then  used my jigsaw to make the slight curves on the end. To be honest I was really intimidated by this part because I thought it was going to be rather hard to match up the shape, but guess what?! It was so easy! All I did was take a piece of paper, lay it over the top and then use pencil to make the outline. Once you have the outline trace it on the pieces of  wood that you have already cut and BAM you have your shape.

5. Next step is to caulk around the edges of the new pieces to give it that seamless look. Once you are done place them somewhere warm to dry because if it's too cold the caulking will crack as it dries. I learned this the hard way and had to redo them all.

Once that is all done you can attach new appliques, stencil it or pretty much do whatever. Total this project took me about an hour to do 2 doors and 3 drawers. Later I will post pictures of what the doors and drawers look like with their new appliques and maybe next week I will have pictures of it all primed and ready to go! A girl can dream.